As per United Nations Environment, more than 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been produced since the early 1950s; 60% of which ends up in landfills or natural environment. While there are studies are being conducted, government schemes being designed and development interventions implemented, what is missing are small but proactive actions and lifestyle changes by individuals like you and me.
I am a big believer in the old proverb – charity begins at home; and am continuously looking out for ways to incorporate sustainable lifestyle changes as much as possible – one of my 2019 New Year resolutions as well. I started with my bathroom; and here are some of the things that I have been able to do:
- Replaced the plastic loofah with a vegetable one (I have the one made from an old Toori/ Ridged gourd)
- Old Plastic toothbrush with a bamboo one
- A steel tongue scrapper instead of a plastic one
- Plastic shower curtains to a one made from hemp and cotton
- Homemade moisturizers, bathroom cleaners and shampoos. All these are stored in old glass bottles
- Sanitary napkins to re-usable eco-friendly pads and menstrual cups
- Re-usable steel dustbins instead of plastic ones
- Using camphor, tea tree oil as a freshener rather than bottled up fresheners
- Using old toothbrushes to clean the bathroom faucets
There is of course much more to do, and I hope to make my bathroom plastic-free and minimise water wastage, hopefully in the next few months. I am looking for more such solutions that are eco-friendly, pocket friendly, customised and hygienic. For example, I am now experimenting with replacing my skin-care products with natural and homemade products (that suit my skin type) prepared using stuff in my kitchen and switched to a bucket bath to avoid water wastage. Do share if you have some tips for me as well, or if you use any of the tweaks I shared above and are satisfied with the results.
As for me, the rest of the house is next on the list.
– Text and image by Apoorva Bhatnagar (cover picture sourced ethically from the internet)